Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Why I am striking on the 30th of June

Why I am striking on the 30th June

I have taught for over 20 years in a great school just outside Southampton. In that time I have avoided all industrial action and have said I wouldn't strike over pay. When I became a teacher I knew that part of the deal was that pay would be below that of my colleagues  in the private sector but that one of the compensations for this was a good pension. That was part of the contract the government entered into with myself and other teachers. 

By breaking this contract I feel that the government is stealing money that will be rightfully mine. I accepted a pay freeze and may even have accepted a modest adjustment to salary during this time of public crisis but my pension was a contract. In time we will rise out of this crisis but by then it will be too late those pension rights will have gone forever.

If I thought that this government had done anything to make banks pay back some of the massive loans they received or even had changed the regulations so this could not happen again. If we were next in line after bankers had accepted a cut in wages to help return Britain PLC to creditworthiness then this government would have the right to talk to me about my pension. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment underneath or reply via Twitter @baggiepr

Followers